You are finally done planning your event. The DJ has been booked, food has been ordered, and all the forms have been filled out through the Office of Student Activities. Now, how do you get people to show up to your event? On this page, you can find various resources to get the word out. You can direct your ad campaign to target just Drew students or to the entire Drew community.
- You: Word of mouth is the best way to inform people of your event, so make sure to tell your friends and classmates what exciting event your student organization has planned.
- Posters and Flyers: An easy and inexpensive way to get the word out about your event to a mass audience.
- Campus Calendar: Student leaders are encouraged to post their events to the university’s campus calendar.
- Here are the instructions on how to post to the calendar:
- Go to the website
- Click on “Add your event”
- Select “Students” under Event Category (right side bar)
- You may also select Faculty/Staff, Casperson School, Theo School, and/or Undergraduate if appropriate!
- Add in your event information
- Click the blue “Publish” button! (top right of page)
- Campus Wide Email: Each organization can send one campus wide email per event. Please review the Campus Wide Email Policies and Procedures before you send the email.
- Community Forum: Space on Drew.edu/home has been dedicated to display links to recent posts to the Drew Community Forums, so information posted there will be easily visible to the Drew Community.
- Email lists: Students are encouraged to use group email lists to let their fellow students know about upcoming events.
- The Acorn: The Acorn is a weekly newspaper published by Drew University students. To get ad rates and other information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WMNJ 88.9: Drew University’s student-run radio station. To get ad rates and other details, please email@example.com
- Academic departments: Contact the academic department administrator should your event have a corresponding interest with that department.
Creative Advertising Ideas
Be sure to receive approval for all creative advertising!
- Banners in buildings and residence halls
- Body Painting
- Candy attached to mailbox stuffers
- Chalk on sidewalks
- Create a sculpture (e.g. a giant spider for a screening of the movie Spiderman)
- Online Calendar
- Use Music – play a CD/DVD of the performer in the UC while handing out flyers!
- Offer some sort of incentive at the event (e.g. a drawing, contest)
- Poster – different shapes, sizes, and colors!
- Pass out ¼ sheets or mini-flyers in between classes
- Sandwich boards
- Skits, preview of program in The Commons
- Flyers for napkin dispensers in The Commons