Property thefts and vandalism are a continuing problem on college campuses, and one which will not be easily solved. But you can help by becoming aware of crime prevention and security measures.
The following suggestions are offered to help protect yourself and your property:
- Never leave purses, keys, laptops, backpacks or other personal property unattended in offices, dining areas, classrooms or the library.
- Lock your apartment or office door even if you “just step out for a minute”.
- Don’t leave valuables, purses, or money in plain view in parked vehicles.
- Participate in Operation Identification by engraving your driver’s license number on your valuables.
- Register your bicycle for free with the Department of Public Safety so it can be identified and returned if recovered.
- If you see suspicious persons or activity in or around university buildings, call the Department of Public Safety at 973-408-3379.
- Remember the tips line for leaving confidential information: Tips hotline: x5656
- Report any criminal activity as soon as possible! Getting information in a timely fashion is imperative for active response and thorough investigations!