The Exchange Visitor Program, administered by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, was created to foster cultural and academic relationships between the United States and people from around the world. Drew university is approved to invite visitors in a number of different exchange visitor categories:  Student (and sub-category of Student Intern), Short-term Research Scholar, Research Scholar, and Professor.

For more detailed information about the various programs, you may want to visit the J-1 Exchange Visitor website and for an overview of ECA’s activities around the world, please visit the Bureau’s site by clicking here.

If you are interested in inviting an exchange visitor to Drew, please read the information provided on this page.   Questions should be directed to Laura Arthur, International Student & Scholar Services,

Categories of Exchange Visitors at Drew University

University Student

In order to be eligible for the J-1 visa, degree-seeking students must be receiving a significant amount of funding from sources other than family or personal funds.  This could be merit scholarships and stipends from Drew, the student’s home government, non-profit organizations, or the U.S. government (e.g. Fulbright).  Exchange students who are non-degree seeking and visiting for one or two semesters will study at Drew on the J-1 visa.

Short Term Research Scholar

Individuals who are coming to the Drew campus for less than six months to conduct research may be eligible for the short-term scholar category.  Scholars are also allowed to give lectures and teach, but their primary purpose must be research.   The B-1 Visitor for Business visa may also be an option if an individual is coming for a short visit to present a lecture or attend a conference, especially if there is no stipend or payment coming from the University.

Research Scholar

The research scholar category is for qualified individuals whose primary purpose at the insitution is conducting research.   A research scholar may also teach or lecture and the appointment to a position must be temporary.  Many research scholars who visit Drew are receiving all of their funding from their home institution or government while on sabbatical or over a summer period.


The professor category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting.  Visiting professors are not eligible for tenure-track positions.

Scholars and Professors have access to the libraries and other Drew facilities and receive a Drew email address and ID for their period of research and lecturing.  The academic department sponsoring the individual is responsible for making housing arrangements if needed and other assistance as required.   There are numerous restrictions and requirements for the J-1 visa category, so it is best to consult with ISSS if you are interested in inviting a researcher or professor to the Drew campus.

Program Extension Information

Students, Research Scholars (not including the short-term category), and Professors may be eligible for an extension to complete their program objective.   If you would like to request a program extension for an exchange visitor from your academic department, please ask the J-1 visitor to make an appointment with ISSS to discuss.  If s/he is eligible, the dean of the school must submit a DS-2019 Extension Form.